Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Memories
I tried to find a picture of my mother today. This would have been her 91st birthday. I did have the joy of talking to Mother's twin, Lila, though, this afternoon, and it was a delightful conversation. (Aunt Lila's mind is just as alert as ever, and she still has the Stokes wit and optimism:)! She was really enjoying her day, filled with family and love.....
How I would have loved to be able to peel back Heaven's cloak, just for a few minutes today, to be able to visit with Mother for a few minutes and to be able to give her a birthday hug!.....
Judi, my cousin, called this morning to say that she was in our family cemetery plot, and that she had placed autumn flowers on Mother's grave. It's odd, the only regret I really have about moving here is that I'm not there to do such things by way of respect and remembrance for my mom. Judi even took the time to walk around the landscape and relay her sights and sounds of the morning. It was the next best thing to being there. Thank you so much, Judi!
Today, especially, I miss Mother's voice and laugh; I miss her knarled but, oh so lady-like hands; I miss her wit and her dry humor; I miss her off-key, but from the heart singing in church; I miss our long talks about life, and the girls, and our Lord; I miss her clean fresh smells of hand lotion, and Estee Lauder, or White Shoulders; I miss her twinkly eyes and her ready smile for those of us who knew her best; I miss her steadfast prayers..... But Mother is remembered most by her family for her true unconditional love for each of us. How much she loved her husband, and children and grandchildren, and what a wonderful wife and mother she was! I cannot think of a better legacy for any woman..... She'll always be an inspiration to me!
Happy Birtday, Elaine! We all love you forever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment